Friday, November 14, 2008

Attitude Adjustment

So yesterday was obviously rough.
But we (Dad, Mom, me) got some things talked through, and that was kind of helpful. However, I was still bummed enough to send out a txt msg at 1 or 2 a.m. to a friend asking for prayer. (If you’re willing to be on this list let me know— Talk about an instant ministry and blessing in my life!) After getting the affirmative, I settled down and read through James and II Corinthians. Here are some of the encouraging highlights:


James 1:2-5
“Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”

James 1:12
“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.”

James 4:14-15
“Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, ‘If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.’”

James 5:10-11
“As an example, brethren, of suffering and patience, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. We count those blessed who endured. You have heard of the endurance of Job and have seen the outcome of the Lord’s dealings, that the Lord is full of compassion and is merciful.”

II Corinthians 1:3-5
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ.”

II Corinthians 4

(Yes, the whole entire thing; it’s seriously amazing. Look it up.)

II Corinthians 6:4-10
“but in everything commending ourselves as servants of God, in much endurance, in afflictions, in hardships, in distresses, in beatings, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labors, in sleeplessness, in hunger, in purity, in knowledge, in patience, in kindness, in the Holy Spirit, in genuine love, in the word of truth, in the power of God; by the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and the left, by glory and dishonor, by evil report and good report; regarded as deceivers and yet true; as unknown yet well-known, as dying yet behold, we live; as punished yet not put to death, as sorrowful yet always rejoicing, as poor yet making many rich, as having nothing yet possessing all things.”

II Corinthians 9:8
“And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed.”

3 comments:

Karen said...

Speaking of verses... did you run off with my verses out of my bathroom? Not that I would mind if you DID, just that it would explain why the wall looks so bare. All I am left with is my "mystic" quotes, that I now feel guilty about having since Jake's friend called them that. I think I am actually going to have to take them down, because now every time I think of that, it confuses/disturbs me. Well, if you DID scamper off with my verses, let me know. :)

Lauren Burke said...

YES I DID. I felt HORRIBLE about it. They're on my desk. I had taken them downstairs to write out the references but then in all the shuffling one of us put them in my pile of papers and things to take home. I'll try to remember to get them to you tomorrow.

I was wondering if/when you would notice and have to ask. :-P
Love you!!

Karen said...

LOL! Well, I noticed the same day you accidentally took them, that is the only reason why I figured it was you. I just kept forgetting to ask you. It's really no big deal at all, I just thought I'd solve the mystery. :)